Julia has completed two recordings.
“frail gesture” (the e.e. cummings project)
As a long time fan of his work, Julia selected 8 of her favourite poems by E.E. Cummings and set them to music. The inspiration for the project began over 12 years ago when the first 5 songs were written. Over the years, Julia’s ideas continued to evolve and she composed music for 3 more of his poems.
The chosen poems celebrate love and life as well as the joy and delight that can be found in gentle, quiet gestures and moments of beauty. Many of the songs were composed during walks along the majestic shores of Lake Huron in Kincardine, Ontario.
In 2013, Julia formally revisited the work and contacted Andrew Downing to arrange the songs for flute (Tristan Durie), clarinet (Peter Lutek), violin (Anna Atkinson), cello (Andrew Downing), piano (Michael Davidson) and percussion (Debashis Sinha) with Julia singing the melodies.
Listen to excerpts from frail gesture:
- somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond
- maggie and milly and molly and may maggie and milly and molly and may
- the first of all my dreams was of the first of all my dreams was of
- i carry your heart with me(i carry it in i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
- may my heart always be open to little may my heart always be open to little
- anyone lived in a pretty how town anyone lived in a pretty how town
- i love you much (most beautiful darling) i love you much (most beautiful darling)
- i will wade out/till my thighs are steeped in burning flowers i will wade out/till my thighs are steeped in burning flowers
“Imprint” is a selection of jazz and pop standards inspired by the impact that memories can have in our lives. The intent was to create a reflective and introspective mood so that emphasis could be placed on the message of the stories suggested by the songs.
“I became very interested in what events leave a lasting impression on us and the reasons we choose to remember them. I was struck by how vividly my aging parents could retell stories from the past and how these chosen memories seemed to nourish them and offer comfort, joy and hope. As I took stock of my own memories, the content of these songs expressed things I’ve observed, learned and appreciated through the experiences and relationships that have shaped me in my life so far.”
Jordan O’Connor arranged the songs for bass (Jordan Connor), piano (Craig Harley) and voice. Jordan O’Connor was producer on both projects. Recordings were done at Number 9 Audio Group in Toronto.
Listen to excerpts from Imprint:
- The Windmills of Your Mind The Windmills of Your Mind
- Downtown Downtown
- Weaver of Dreams Weaver of Dreams
- I’ve Grown Accustomed to His Face I’ve Grown Accustomed to His Face
- Tell It Like It Is Tell It Like It Is
- ‘Round Midnight ‘Round Midnight
- It Never Entered My Mind It Never Entered My Mind
- Lover Man Lover Man
- Anyone Can Whistle Anyone Can Whistle
- Bein’ Green Bein’ Green
- Desperado Desperado
- At Last At Last
- I Can See Clearly Now I Can See Clearly Now
- Nature Boy Nature Boy
- Not A Day Goes By Not A Day Goes By